- Stretch after an hour of television viewing or sitting at the computer. - a lot of fitness watches often alert you if it senses that you have been sitting too long without movement.
- Work on your posture both standing and seated to keep your spine properly aligned.
- Make sure your work station is ergonomic with good low back support.
- Drink water to keep the disks of your spine hydrated.
- Exercise your neck and body regularly
- Warm up before and stretch out after physical activities such as sports, gardening or other daily projects
- Lift heavy items safely and slowly, avoid fast jerky motions
Some Things to Avoid
- Cradling a phone on your shoulder or straining your neck when texting - This bent-forward position puts a great deal of added stress on bones, joints, and ligaments in your neck
- Falling asleep on the arm of the sofa
- Thin pillows that provide no neck support - try to sleep on your back if you can
- Reduce overall stress and tension
If neck pain persists, it is best to see a health care professional to develop a personalized treatment and pain prevention plan.
Taking a few preventative measures will help reduce your chances of neck pain and keep you discomfort free.